[ppml] Abstract of proposed Internet Draft for Best CurrentPractice (please comment)

Dr. Jeffrey Race jrace at attglobal.net
Wed Feb 19 04:17:22 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:09:19 -0800, Steve Atkins wrote:

>And an ISP can afford to terminate a customer with very little
>liability as long as they have reasonable evidence that a customer
>violated their contract (which usually includes an AUP by reference).
>That's a much easier position than a third-party would be in.
>
>I wouldn't care to be in the position of an RIR trying to do that, let
>alone having to fund the abuse investigation team and legal staff that
>would be needed to do so.

This is an interesting point so please clarify it so that I may
clarify my proposal as necessary.

>From a reading of my draft text, the revocation of IP address space
would be consequent to a (months-long) pattern of ignoring
documented complaints or refusing to enable or (once enabled)
operate <postmaster> or other RFC-mandated role accounts.  These
are easily and irrefutably documented and not susceptible to
joe-jobs.   I have one particular case in mind (in APNIC space)
where the service provider brazenly ignores all complaints about
spam.   This is the kind of scum who should be shut off.

So what is the particular problematical scenario you foresee, so
that we can come up with a strategy to deal with it?

Jeffrey Race