[ppml] Abstract of proposed Internet Draft for Best Current Practice (please comment)

Dr. Jeffrey Race jrace at attglobal.net
Tue Feb 18 04:57:52 EST 2003

Please see inline comments

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:17:24 -0500, Ron da Silva wrote:
>Jeffrey - As this seems to relate to ARIN,
>>On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:25:30PM +0700, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:
>>  (1) It makes explicit that every custodian of internet resources is
>>      responsible for preventing emission of pollution
>>  (2) Adopting a simultaneous universal practice of withdrawal of
internet
>>       resources means that no provider will suffer competitive
>>       disadvantage
>>  (4) This Practice legitimates withdrawal of internet resources as the
>>       only method proven effective in halting abuse.
>
>Are you proposing that ARIN revoke certain resources (assignments,
>allocations, ASNs, etc) under certain conditions to influence
>certain behaviors (decreasing SPAM propagation)?

Yes! It is the only way proven to ensure good behavior among the
refractory and the negligent.   It gets their attention.   Initially
the withdrawal might be merely symbolic (because it would have been
preceded by a public admonishment) but if necessary an abuser's
or enabler's entire address space might be withdrawn.

>If so, can you be
>more exact on which resources and under which conditions?

The resources would be of two types (at least; suggest more as
appropriate)

 - addresses (IP addresses and domain names)
 - connectivity (service from ISPs, webhosting firms, backbone
    providers)

I welcome any suggestions here to elaborate or improve

>Also, not sure if the revocation of an assignment (for example)
>necessarily stops an end user from using that assignment.  ARIN
>currently has no method to stop an end user from using space
>illegitimately.

Why not and what can be done?   It is an obvious loophole in the
system from the point of view of a sociologist of group behavior.
If the Motor Vehicle Registry can't revoke licenses for abuse,
of course the drivers will ignore the rules.

  Providers may influence that by the extent that
>they could refuse to offer transport of bits sourced from that
>revoked-now-illegitimate assignment, but that is outside the scope
>of PPML (but certainly worth noting).

Please elaborate on how this might be implemented.  I do NOT want
to go into excessive detail of implementation, but I DO want,
accurately, to specify a chain of causation (implemented by the
Internet resource custodians) leading to the behavior modification
of abusers/enablers, or if not, then their disconnection from the
Internet

Jeffrey Race