[ppml] ppml 2002-7

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 14 14:26:46 EST 2003

>> I don't see anything necessarily bad with a new swamp if all of the
>> addresses in it are used to multihome.  It would be silly to
>> assign a /24
>> to someone that only connects to one provider, since you
>
> The point that people who want it policy to be approved is just opposite
> that.. they WANT the ability to use their own assigned Class C and go
> anywhere with it; even if it is only one upstream ISP and even if they
> only use 3 IPs out of the entire block.
>
> They feel that they are being held "hostage" by their ISP; and that
> renumbering is "too difficult".. guess what.. get over it.
>
> People change phone numbers.. people can change IPs. LNP (Local Number
> Portability) with the phone systems allow you to keep your same phone
> number if you move within the same area code (same ISP Networks); if you
> move to a different area code you get a new phone number..  (whine whine
> whine.. I have to change phone numbers.. I have to get new business
> cards...  I have to renumber my phone systems...)

NO.  LNP allows you to switch phone companies and keep your numbers.  If
you move to a different geographical location, you may lose LNP.  Changing
ISPs is like changing phone companies.  Not like changing locations.

Eventually, we need to come up with a solution for the internet that allows
this type of portability.  I don't believe the backbone technology available
today can support it, but I do believe it needs to happen at some point
before we can really call the technology mature.  I certainly believe that
the analogy above just doesn't work.

I haven't read the proposed policy well enough yet to comment on it's
merits,
but I felt I needed to comment on this analogy separately.

> Think of changing ISPs as changing area codes.. it happens. Renumbering
> is part of doing business and should be factored in to your costs of
> doing business. When we can all finally accept this fact, we'll all be
> able to get on with our jobs.

No... Changing ISPs is like changing phone companies.  Moving from New
York to Tenessee is like changing area codes.  Additionally, the assumption
that everyone who runs a network is a business is also a fallacy.  Some
of us run networks in our homes.  Some people want to be connected to the
internet without being held hostage by some particular ISP.  If you had
the ability to change power companies, would you consider it acceptable
if different power companies had different voltages or frequencies, and
every homeowner that switched had to reconfigure all their appliances
for the new power company?

Owen