[ppml] ppml 2002-7

Forrest forrest at almighty.c64.org
Tue Feb 11 13:46:08 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, McBurnett, Jim wrote:

> THANKS!!!
> But I guess I would have to wonder who had that address before me
> If I got swamp space...
> IE SPAMMER FROM ****....
> But that is another discussion...

I'm not saying we should reuse the old swamp space for a new "multihome
swamp".  I'm saying set aside a new previously unused block of addresses
from the old Class C range to be assigned directly to small organizations
that multihome, which is basically what 2002-7 is suggesting.

I'm definitely in favor of cleaning up the existing swamp space however,
get any organization that still uses space in the swamp to renumber into
their provider's larger aggregate and give the space back.  I think this
is basically what 2002-6 is attempting to encourage.  The only way you're
going to get people to renumber out of the swamp is to offer some sort of
incentive to do so (money), or just plain force them to do it.

Forrest