[ppml] ppml 2002-7

Forrest forrest at almighty.c64.org
Tue Feb 11 12:45:07 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Alec H. Peterson wrote:

> We used to allocate /24s, and now we have a horrible mess of unaggregatable
> space (the swamp, 205/8 is pre-/19 space).  Current allocation policy has
> not stopped people from announcing /24s, but it at least allows people to
> aggregate to a certain degree and still be able to reach the entire
> Internet.

It seems like alot of the people announcing /24's are not doing it to
provide redundancy, but rather to load balance between their two circuits.
I can completely understand filtering these /24's, but in the process it
hurts the small organization that wants to multihome for redundancy but
isn't large enough to qualify for a /20.  In reality, the current ARIN
allocation policy actually seems to encourage the wasting of IP address
space just to be able to qualify for a /19, when perhaps only a /22 would
be more than plenty.  You only have to look at some of these web hosting
companies to see evidence of wasting IP addresses.  I've seen a whole /25
assigned to ONE single webserver before, even when virtual hosting would
have worked just fine.

> If we do allocate /24s, even from existing swamp space, eventually we'll
> run out and we'll have to create a new swamp.  It seems to me that this
> would be failing to learn from previous mistakes.

I don't see anything necessarily bad with a new swamp if all of the
addresses in it are used to multihome.  It would be silly to assign a /24
to someone that only connects to one provider, since you could just give
them a /24 from the provider's larger aggregate.  If you quit multihoming,
you return your addresses back to the "multihome swamp".  This would allow
providers to filter out the useless /24's (like the /18 being announced as
64 /24's, yet allow them to accept somewhat more important small
multihoming blocks).

Forrest