[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments forMultihome d Networks

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at five-elements.com
Thu Aug 28 13:21:41 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 16:03, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:11:38PM -0500, Bill Darte wrote:
> > There is always a diversity of opinion and very little evidence to support
> > the contentions.
> >
> > I simply hate making decisions with too little or no facts to rely on.....
> > especially when experts within the same realm cannot agree.
>
> Unfortunately many of these things come down to predicting the
> future, and worse predicting the outcome of actions that have never
> really been tried before.  Sadly, we're mostly stuck in a situation
> where trial and error is the best option, which is often very hard
> for an engineer to accept. :)

I'm sure you've followed the entire thread closely, Bill, and while I
can understand your concerns that micro-assignment policy may spur new
route table growth and perhaps even hasten address space exhaustion, I
believe Leo's excellent suggestion to "rate-limit" micro-assignments
will limit the global bgp-speaking community's exposure. You didn't seem
to address this in your follow-up post, but I would like to hear your
thoughts on the feasability of the "rate-limit" mechanism by the ARIN.

I am confident that more route table growth will still be produced by
irresponsible deaggregation than from any other source. I'm sure you can
agree that a successful multi-homer micro-assignment policy, with a
clear growth path into the traditional ARIN addressing policies, can
reduce the number of advertised routes for non-contigious space, due to
growth assignments from ISPs with conservative allocation policies.

I further suggest that if the ARIN chooses to assign these blocks only
within a documented /10 (or similarly-sized chunk of space which can be
easily added to prefix-lists) and does not carve /24s out of it, ISPs
can aggressively filter the micro-assignment space; making certain that
recipients do not cause undue table growth through poor configuration.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at five-elements.com>