[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments forMultihome d Networks

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Wed Aug 27 15:11:38 EDT 2003

> That said, feel free to review ARIN's numbers on how many they request
> today.  I'm quite sure 200 is way high, and aside from a
> possible small
> initial inrush has no chance of actually limiting things.
>
> > Why do you think there will be any growth?  Short of the fraud issue
> > mentioned above, all these /24's are already in the global
> routing table.
>
> There will be short term growth, as both networks are announced as
> people move from one to the other.  I think there will also be long
> term growth, as people who were unsure if they could properly
> multihome with a non-portable /24 (eg, due to others filtering on
> a /19-/20 boundry) begin to multihome with these new ARIN assigned
> blocks.
>
> So yes, I see growth.  Growth measured in fractions of a percent, or
> maybe even the first digit or two in the extreme case...nothing that
> will cause the net to come to a standstill.

I always love these pronouncements, either within the AC or beyond,......
everyone has an opinion on what the outcomes of a lowering of minimum
assignment policy will be....on route table size, demand for IP blocks of
the minimum size, and filtering.....

There is always a diversity of opinion and very little evidence to support
the contentions.

I simply hate making decisions with too little or no facts to rely on.....
especially when experts within the same realm cannot agree.

Fascinating.....

Bill Darte
ARIN Advisory Council