[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-11: Purpose and Scope of WHOIS Di rectory

Lee Howard lee.howard at mci.com
Wed Aug 27 10:44:55 EDT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Charles Scott wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:27:38 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Charles Scott <cscott at gaslightmedia.com>
> To: "Azinger, Marla" <marla_azinger at eli.net>
> Cc: 'Mury' <mury at goldengate.net>, Member Services <memsvcs at arin.net>,
>      ppml at arin.net
> Subject: RE: [ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-11: Purpose and Scope of WHOIS
>     Di rectory
>
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Azinger, Marla wrote:
>
> > 2.  If we dont include the name of the company that is actually "using" an
> > IP block such as one of my End User's than I dont see much use of the whole
> > WHOIS database.
>
>   The corollary to which is... If we don't have valid contact data and
> some chain of responsibility then I don't see much use of the whole WHOIS
> database. (other than as a source of addresses to spam)
>   I'd rather have less data that's valid than more data that's useless.
>
> Chuck

To what extent are the following statements true?

  WHOIS without naming the end user is not much use.

  End user information without contact information, as currently allowed
  as reassign-simple, is not much use.

  Except for spammer address-harvesting and showing utilization to ARIN,
  WHOIS is not much use.

Thanks,
Lee