[ppml] Spamming off of this list

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Aug 26 22:30:44 EDT 2003

In a message written on Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 06:15:14PM -0400, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
> > bhall at incognito.com
> > Brian Hall | Product Manager
> > Incognito Software Inc.
> > T: 604.688.4332 x111 | F: 604.688-4339
>
> Is it really spam if you post in a thread on a mailing list and someone
> responds privately saying they have a product related to your post that
> you might be interested in?  I'm not so sure I'd call it spam.

I received one of these, of note:

* The message had no "References" header, or any other indication
  it was a "reply" other than "Re:" in the subject line.

* My sent-mail archive indicates I've never sent a message to the
  list with the subject Mr Hall's message indicated "Re: IP
  management".

Given the lack of anything to indicate it was a reply, I'd say he
harvested addresses, and sent out a message thinly disguised as a
reply.  That is spam.