[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-11: Purpose and Scope of WHOIS Di rectory

Azinger, Marla marla_azinger at eli.net
Fri Aug 22 14:09:58 EDT 2003

2.  If we dont include the name of the company that is actually "using" an
IP block such as one of my End User's than I dont see much use of the whole
WHOIS database.  If all ARIN WHOIS shows is the Directly Allocated Recipient
then my company for example wouldnt be able to handle the number of calls
coming in.  Right now people daily use the "true users" info off of the
WHOIS database in order to resolve issues....and then if that doesnt work we
are contacted and get involved.  I suppose if you want to make it an option
as to whether or not "the true user POC info is included" on WHOIS....maybe
that would be ok.....but I shouldnt have to take any extra steps to ensure
all of our End User and ISP's info is included on WHOIS.

3.  I still strongly believe a 3 month POC validation is excessive.  Once a
year would be more realistic.  I also strongly believe that in no way should
it be done the same way it was done this last year.  I have wasted way to
much time on a daily basis sending in an "update org template"  for
companies that the information has not changed.  I'm still sending in the
damn things for companies that the info hasnt changed.  I shouldnt have to
do this unless someone has proved the info is not valid.

Marla