[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Thu Aug 21 15:24:55 EDT 2003

All,
Let me add some comments here:
QUOTE:
Use IP space from one of their upstreams on both connections.
This can lead to load balancing issues, and also makes the
end-user more dependent on the ISP who assigned the space.
The ISP's business problems, for instance could force
downtime and/or renumbering.
END QUOTE:

No offense to any ISP, but this not only happened to us, but it
is STILL causing us problems.

My IP block is from an ISP that has poor enforcement of their
AUP, and as such I got lumped into it. They would not SWIP my
block, (QUOTE: " that is something we cannot do") and would not
reverse DNS while I was bringing up my DNS servers.

When another ISP issued an ALL MAIL from X SPACE will be blocked,
we got hurt badly.

I hate to see the /22 in this, as I am multi-homed and I don't foresee
the ability to use it in a year. But I understand the routing table issue.

The one item I do not see mentioned is Cost.
At one point there was discussion about a reduced price to end-users, that were
not reselling/leasing etc the space.  What is the status of this?

Thanks,
Jim