[ppml] public addresses for private networks

Lee Howard lee.howard at mci.com
Fri Aug 15 13:14:08 EDT 2003

You make a good point that I have also encountered. . . .

Let's say I set up an internet to interconnect all of the baked-goods
industry.  Some of those Hostess stores may also have Internet
connections.  If one router at a bakery has a connection to the
Baked Goods Network and a connection to the Internet, the addresses
between BGN and the Internet must not conflict.

We can't use RFC1918 space, because there are millions of bakeries
on the BGN and we've used up all of that space.  Or because Hostess
and Little Debbie both refused to renumber from their space, so we've
already NATed them (I find this justification debatable).

One proposal I've seen at the IETF is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-guichard-pe-ce-addr-03.txt
This suggests an additional network reservation of a /8 for numbering
private provider networks.  The idea as I understand it is for each
organization to use RFC1918 space internally, but the interconnections
would be numbered from this new space.

I am agnostic on this draft, I merely point out its existence.

Lee