[ppml] IANA is dead!?

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Tue Aug 12 10:42:12 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, August 12, 2003 15:22 +0100 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> I believe that there is broad support for policy reform within the ARIN
> membership. People do differ on the details but I do not detect any
> significant level of support for "business as usual".

The reason you do not detect such support is because you are only listening
to the sounds, instead of listening to the silence.  Therein is the problem
with mailing list discussions, those who support change generally tend to
participate more than those who support the status quo.  I feel it is naive
of you to make such a broad assumption, given how large the ARIN
constituency is relative to the size of the group that participates in the
policy process.  There are many entities which exist quite happily within
the parameters of the existing ARIN process.

However, this is not to say that ARIN's policies are perfect, that too
would be a fallacy.  ARIN's policies are always evolving.  Given the
importance of the resources ARIN manages, it is prudent to make incremental
changes, which is what registries have done historically.  I'm aware that
you have proposed some such changes, and for that I am grateful as an AC
member.  The AC is looking into the best way to evaluate the issues you
have raised.

Alec
Chair, ARIN AC