[ppml] POC verification process

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Aug 12 10:11:40 EDT 2003

>I would suggest that your target customers would be best served by a
>consortium-led directory made up of the main players in the industry, and
>that - therefore - this isn't really a valid topic for discussion here.

I agree about the consortium but disagree about the discussion. There is
only one IPv4 address space and it is a matter of public policy how this
space is carved up and managed by different organizations. Right now there
are roughly 3 classes of organizations that manage IPv4 space and each
class
does so under different rules. RIRs can reserve unallocated blocks and
don't
need to meet the 80% utilization rule. ISPs or LIRs have to justify
receiving
more space than they can use directly on the basis that they are providing
network services to other orgs. And end users have to get their space from
an ISP/LIR unless they need portability. In APNIC they have NIRs which are
like national branches of the RIR.

Now what I am proposing here is an RIR-like organization to serve the
financial services industry. That is something which does not currently
exist although there are precedents in the way SITA was given space for
the air-traffic industry and the way that the North American cable
industry
was given a /8. Before one can reasonably discuss this with the companies
which would form this type of new registry, one first needs to have some
idea of how to go about getting an allocation of space. That is a matter
of public policy so I am discussing it here. Also, I suspect that most
organizations who would be part of the said consortium are also ARIN
members
so it does no harm to broach the subject in this forum.

By the way, no matter how hard we try, it is not possible any more to
create
a private IP network that is not connected to the Internet. The Internet
is
defined as the collection of sites connected to the Internet. Nowadays,
that
includes just about every medium and large organization on the planet.
It probably includes every single one of the companies which form the
financial services industry.

A reasonable assumption is that every one of these companies also uses RFC
1918 addressing internally in their private networks and the larger ones
probably have an internal registry managing their use of RFC 1918 space.
In
that context, the only feasable way of building a private internet and
avoid
all manner of wierd addressing corner cases, is to use globally unique
registered addresses just like the public Internet. This need was foreseen
by the authors of RFC2050 which is why this is considered a valid usage of
IPv4 addresses.

Please do not call this a private network; it is not. It is a private
internetwork
or private internet that interconnects a large number of networks which
are
also connected to the public Internet. If it helps, you can envision this
as a thin layer around the edge of the public Internet where stub networks
have a non-transit IPv4 connection to each other through this thin layer.

These stub networks are private networks belonging to companies like NYSE,
Chicago Board of Trade, Merrill Lynch, Belzberg, Standard & Poor's, etc.
Looking at the world from their point of view, they consider their
privately
owned corporate networks to be private networks and they consider
RadianzNet
(or SAVVIS Financial Xchange or SWIFTNet) to be a public network shared
with
their customers and competitors.

--Michael Dillon