[ppml] Industry self regulation (was IP address theft?)

Mury mury at goldengate.net
Tue Apr 29 12:45:05 EDT 2003

Here's one from deep in the right field bleachers:

ARIN (RIRs) could "insist" or just "encourage" members to filter out
certain blocks of IPs for various reasons.

It would only take a percentage of members actually doing it, especially
if the big dogs were on board, to make it work.

While it seems to me that someone needs to work with WIANA to make their
block legitimate, what would stop the next group from doing the same
thing?

If this "homesteading" is allowed to continue we will have a mess of
massive proportions.  And it will only take one WIANA type situation one
to be accepted to start a precedence.

What I can't seem to figure out is why a wireless device needs an IP that
is not part of a network where it is owned and operated by end users.
Wouldn't that wireless device either be on the network of the wireless
operator, the ISP they are connecting to, or a private network between a
certain group of people?

Anyway, it's lunch time.

Someone from IANA needs to get on the phone with WIANA immediately, before
a very bad precedence is set.  Any feedback on a potential policy
that would encourage members to filter out IPs in situations where RIRs
are circumvented (In no way would it be used to combat SPAM or other
network abuses outside the scope of a RIR).

Mury