[ppml] The WIANA registry

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue Apr 29 12:06:09 EDT 2003

David,

> David Conrad wrote:
> This is theft.

I would call that hijacking or squatting. The way I understand theft is
that the resource is not available anymore to the original owner and
becomes "property" of the thief. This is not what we have here;
1.0.0.0/8 is still available and can be delegated to a RIR. Actually, if
I was IANA and I was pissed, that's what I would do.

Anyway, without pointing fingers, there has been a failure in the system
to push these guys to create WIANA. I don't condone it (if we let this
happen everyone is going to hijack prefixes) but this should remind
everyone that terrorism often happens form people that have been turned
down by the established authority.

Note that if hijacking becomes allowed, I hereby declare 2345::/16 mine
:-)
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt

Michel.