[ppml] IP address theft?

Joe Baptista baptista at dot-god.com
Mon Apr 28 14:52:22 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Bill Darte wrote:

> David,
>
> I agree with the spirit of the term 'theft' in your message regard WIANA
> below, but I am not sure about the literal definition.
>
> It is not property in a tangible sense.  It is not owned, but there is a
> significant infrastructure of 'stewardship' which makes the infrastructure
> reliable and predictable.
> Its unsanctioned use is a violation of the protocol in use, but is it theft
> in the eyes of the law?
> If addresses allocated to ARIN are squatted, does ARIN's incorporation or
> the allocation process give it 'rights' under the law to exclusive dominion
> on these 'things'?
>
> Do you use the term literally or figuratively?

The only rights you have here is by agreements made.  We have no agreement
with ARIN therefore you have no rights over our arpa - and yes we consider
them virtual property.

I've been very nervous with IANA recently and all this MLM RIR $2,500 USD
marketing hype for a service which bascially costs $6.00 per domain at
other registries.  All you do at ARIN is assignments and reverse arpa -
that does not translate into a $2,500 USD per year fee.

regards
joe baptista

Joe Baptista - only at www.baptista.god

"Don't believe anything! We will chase the rascals back to London!"
 ... Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf former Iraqi Information Minister