[ppml] The WIANA registry

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Apr 28 04:41:12 EDT 2003

>What an astoundingly bad idea.

>They are trying to steal 1/8.  Why should anyone condone such action?

They are trying to use it, not steal it.

I condone the action because they are providing a useful service which
needs globally unique IPv addressing. And since there is now plenty of
IPv4 address space to burn, we may as well use it up for useful things. If
we start to run out of IPv4 space, we have an almost infinite amount of
IPv6 addressing to use so there is no danger in running out.

The RIRs no longer need to conserve IPv4 address space. Rather, they need
to manage the space towards a controlled exhaustion point. As long as the
consumption rate doesn't lead to exhaustion before about 2008 then
everything is fine. And I fully expect that the IPv4 space will never be
exhausted because sometime around 2008 people will start returning IPv4
space because their needs will be met fully with IPv6.

--Michael Dillon