[ppml] The WIANA registry

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Fri Apr 25 12:19:18 EDT 2003

> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:29:45PM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
> wrote:
> > > What do people think about providing support to WIANA in order
> > > to properly register the 1/8 address space that they are using?
>
> Given the premise for their existence is RIRs/RFC2050 are not applicable to
> their users, I don't think ARIN support makes much sense.
>
> Thus spake "Ron da Silva" <ron at aol.net>
> > Hmm...shouldn't WIANA simply ask an RIR for space (after
> > justification) or directly petition IANA like any other well behaving
> > internet activity/experiment?
>
> WIANA's web site states their 1/8 addresses aren't reachable from the public
> Internet, therefore they have no functional reason to pay RIR allocation
> fees.  I am very doubtful they could get an allocation from IANA directly
> without IETF/ISOC support for their experiment.

	Hum...  read the web site(s) and I don't recall there being
	any statement on the WIANA site about this being an experiment.

	I am concerned that they have apparently appropriated 1.0.0.0/8
	without even the flimsiest of justifications or notification
	to any of the recognized address mgmt parties.

--bill