[ppml] Re: Independent space from ARIN

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Apr 23 05:22:26 EDT 2003

>> More stuff from the NANOG thread. I know there are a lot of emotional
>> statements here and in the other messages, but if we look beyond these
we
>> see that there is some general agreement on what problems need to be
>> addressed.

>Much of this gets back to education.

>Bill Darte has been beating the education drum ever since ARIN started.
He
>received limited minimal input and support from the community.

Education programs are most emphatically *NOT* a substitute for good
communication in the form of clear, well-written policies and clearly
documented processes. We have taken a simple thing and surrounded it with
complex policies and processes. As Bill Darte's experience shows, there is
not much support for a program to educate people in the complex policies
and processes. IMHO the way forward is to strip away the complexity, to
remove the obfuscation, to simplify and to focus on communication.

To that end, we should be shortening our policies, reducing the amount of
information that is published in the whois directories, and simplifying
the process of applying for IP addresses. And it wouldn't hurt to do some
planning for the future of ARIN in an age of IPv6 when 99% of companies
will only ever get a single address allocation.