[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-5

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Apr 22 12:06:43 EDT 2003

There are several companies publishing data as general whois. Here is an
example:

NetRange:   207.99.0.0 - 207.99.127.255
CIDR:       207.99.0.0/17
NetName:    NAC-NETBLK01
NetHandle:  NET-207-99-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-207-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.NAC.NET
NameServer: NS2.NAC.NET
Comment:    ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
Comment:
Comment:    * Reassignment information for this network is available
Comment:    * at whois.nac.net 43
RegDate:    1996-04-23
Updated:    2001-08-22

So I do not find anything wrong with CW using their rwsl whois server
(in fact my recursive whois service will automaticly sublookup in CW rpsl
whois). The point is that protocol used for publishing data should be
understood by ARIN and by end-users. The wording "ARIN approved" as has
been introduced by Mark Kosters seems quite good choice to me to say what
protocol is to be used.

What is lucking is possibly process of approving new protocol, but here
I'm not sure it should really be a policy, in my opionion approval of new
ready protocol should be done on recomendation of AC (or ARIN staff) by
BoT and  should be matter of adding new protocol to some list to be
published on arin website.