[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-5

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 18 18:35:40 EDT 2003

--On Friday, April 18, 2003 16:21 -0400 Mark Kosters
<markk at verisignlabs.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 08:00:49AM -1000, Barbara Roseman wrote:
>> I agree with Dana's added language about maintenance windows, and with
>> what  some others have proposed to make the language less specific to
>> RWhois and  more generically to locally maintained dbs used in place of
>> WHOIS. We  should have all caught this after Leslie's presentation on
>> CRISP and IRIS.  These may still be some way off, but some version of
>> them will arrive.
>
> I was given an augument against making it generic since ARIN only
> allows for ip reassignment information to be of the form of a SWIP or
> RWhois server. If ARIN allows for another form of distributed lookup
> service such as using a LDAP based service (like referral LDAP) or XML
> based  service (like IRIS), then it should be made more general at that
> point.

I disagree.  I think it should be made generic NOW, in such a way that
all ARIN has to do is update the other policy and this one automatically
tracks it.

As to Einar's comments, what I think he's saying is that it
shouldn't incorporate a specific other policy by reference,
but, should, generically incorporate ALL ARIN reassignment
information privacy policies, as they exist now, and, as
they may be ammended in the future.

Owen