[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-5

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Apr 16 17:23:55 EDT 2003

I planned to send this comments to Mark Kosters and cc to ppml but never
got around to it. I have problems with some wording of this policy (but
not with main issue being addresses). I did expect that some of this would be
addressed in the final revision and did not expect policy to go to last
call AS-IS. Here are my particular suggestions:

1. I think policy should be more generic appliying to any whois service
that is approved by ARIN and is being used to show reassignment data by ISP.
Currently this is primarily rwhois, but there are 4 isps doing just plain
whois and in the future some policy needs to be developed on what services
is accepted (such as when crisp is ready). But as far as this policy, the
changes I proposed are that word "Rwhois" be replaced with "isp maintained
reassigment whois service". Possibly it can be done in the name of the
policy and first time its mentioned and then it can say rwhois for
additional cases explaining that would be a acronym for "reassignment
whois server" but does not necessarily means its rwhois protocol.

2. I have recomendations with some wording on requirements:
 a. Move first sentence of paragraph 2 into paragraph 1 - it belongs more
    clearly there and maybe add the very last paragraph here as well (most
   important points must be first). So possibly change paragraph 1 to something
   like "Reassignment server must allow public access to reassigment
   information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and must return results that
   are up-to-date"
   This is shorter and better in my view but whatever...

 b. Separate first sentence of paragraph 3 on by itself - i.e.
   "The RWhois server must return reassignment information for the IP
   address queried", possibly add it to paragraph 1 above, i.e.
   "... up-to-date and must return reassignment information for the ip
   address queried"

 c. For same paragraph 3, I do not think specifically mentioning "multi-homed"
    policy is good, it may change in the future and different privacy
    considerations in other policies may be created. Better to possibly say
    "The reassignment server may follow privacy considerations for public
    access as described in ARIN policies but most provide exact detail on
    assignments and allocations to ARIN staff"

 d. Possibly combine paragraphs on attributes that are returned, i.e.
   "The RWhois server must respond to a query with the minimal set of
    attributes per object as defined by ARIN staff. The RWhois server may
    include optional attributes per object that are defined by the operator."