[ppml] Proposed Changes to ARIN Policy Proposal Process

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Apr 9 11:39:24 EDT 2003

I'd like people on this mailing to pay take very good look at what is
being proposed at http://www.arin.net/policy/process_changes/, this is
very serious revision of the process in my view both good and bad.

First few slides about "Submitting a Policy Proposal" and "AC role" seems
quite good, its good to have AC comment on proposals and make sure they
are well written - I would like however this to be more public on this
mailing list, rather then in private to authors, but either one is
acceptable as long as authors are accomodated. Timing seems very similar
to what we have right now, so I have no comment there.

What I do have major comment are last slide as well as what was said on
the live meeting. Basicly the ideas is that proposals will in general be
brought in by AC (AC creates proposals out of ideas that they think are
good and would be accepted) and be discussed and accepted by consensus on
live public policy meeting that the DECISIVE role will be left to the
meeting and NOT TO MAILING LIST as is done currently. This means that few
companies on the meeting with help from AC and BoT will dominate the
decisions (and as I have already commented many times and which is not
disputed is that 50% of meeting attendies are from large ISPs, while
these companies make only 5% of ARIN membership and far far less as far
as general ARIN community) - seems like we're abandoning idea of internet
democracy and rather would like to institute "Corporate Democracy" or
Roman Senate like situation as far as decision making process. I'm very
very concerned about this and while its probably a futile cause to change
this general direction, I'd like people and primarily small companies
that make majority of ARIN to seriously consider if this is what they
want from ARIN.