[ppml] Big numbers

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Tue Apr 8 15:12:34 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 10:07  AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> I'm not too worried about the number of numbers available.  I am
> very worried about the routing system.
> However, let's now try and have a routing system that allows every
> house to have it's own subnet, and be provider independent, and
> not have to renumber when someone sneezes.  That's a huge problem.

Exactly.  Arguing that the RIRs should not allocate address space
because the address space is limited is simply a waste of time.  Yes,
it is limited, as are the number of atoms in the Universe.

The _REAL_ problem is whether or not that address space is or will ever
be routable.  We can't flat route the v4 space or even close to it,
multiplying that number by 2^96 doesn't help.  2^45 (or 2^48 or 2^32 or
2^29, pick your big number) has the potential to be a swamp of
inconceivable proportions.

The question is, what does the ARIN community believe ARIN's role is or
should be in limiting the creation of this new, bigger, deeper, swamp?

Rgds,
-drc