[ppml] Big numbers

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Tue Apr 8 13:44:01 EDT 2003

Without opening up too many cans of worms:
NAT Traversal within companies that have merged and
then share the same RFC1918 address can work...
Albeit with its own pain...
It can be said that anything can be MADE to work... But will is scale?
I can even make a 12 year old Radio Shack Multimeter IP addressable, but
will is scale?

Second: There are at least 2 organizations, that I personnaly have knowledge of,
that use RW addresses on 95% of all their systems RIGHT NOW as I type this.
One has a large # of Class B's and one has several Class A's.
Having worked for one of them, I can say that that had it's issues too...
No matter what we say here and now and where we think we need to be going,
we will look back on this topic as old thinking 5 or 10 years from now.
I, for one, think we should start pushing every provider to start working
on the v6 implementations, and "get along little doggie."
Nothing we talk about will give us the experience to do the untested except to do it!!!

I have seen many electonics projects come and go and many a systems theorized, but until
the voltage met the IC, did the theory prove right or wrong.

Let's put a plan togather, right or wrong, and test it.

Automated IP assignment from scripting? I know it is being done at a large # of ISP's.
They have some knowledge. Put that to work.

Rerouting v4, it is being done now. Cisco, Juniper, and others, speak up,
make an IETF commitee reccomendation to the RIR's.

Nothing is worse than indecisiveness in a time when actions will do more to
further the development of Interconnectivity.....

I see 2 arguments here:
If we keep waiting for IPv6 to be setup, then it might be to late.

and

IANA has over 25 Class A networks that are not even in use, why worry now, the DOT COM
BOMB is OVER........

We can put off this change as long as we want, but WE as the community all know how much of
a pain renumbering is. Would you rather do it sooner, with less IPv4 addresses to renumber or later
with far more work?  IPv6, according to some, should stop the need of renumbering........

Anyway, as Forrest Gump said:" That's all I Got to say about that"

Brian,