[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-4: IPv6 Policy Changes

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Mon Apr 7 14:21:24 EDT 2003

Thomas / folks,

> Thomas Narten wrote:
> I have some comments on this proposal.
> [large snip]

I agree with Thomas comments. More specifically:

> Per above, I don't have a big problem with waiving fees, if
> the fees are considered to be an excessive burden. But I'd
> like to understand that better. My understanding is that that
> the fees associated with getting a /32 are relatively low,
> and are a small fraction of the $$ that would be required to
> provide a production IPv6 service. I'd like to understand more
> how the existing fees are barriors to getting IPv6 space and
> providing IPv6 service.

I concur. Furthermore, I would say that if one can't fork out this kind
of fee, I would doubt that one has the necessary resources to provide
real production services. I do not like the idea of barriers built on
money, but the other side of this coin is that I have no problem with a
fee that weeds 14 year-olds with a cable modem and a free tunnel broker
out of the production IPv6 ISP business.

>> 5.8.3 Micro Allocations
>>   a) To promote the allocation and deployment of IPv6 all the
>>   criteria in 5.1.1 shall be waived to those requesting a /48
>>   micro allocation before Dec 31, 2004, or until this policy
>>   is changed.  If this policy is changed, current space holders
>>   shall not be subject to any new or waived criteria.

> This goes against the intent of the IPv6 policy, namely that
> only LIRs get address space from the RIRs, and that end sites
> do not. The above seems to allow end sites to get /48s directly
> from RIRs. This is a mistake and will open the floodgates.

I don't think this is a mistake; I think this is a catastrophe. This
would be the creation act of the IPv6 swamp. As much as I would like to
have my own /48 PI block for home and have it appear in the global
routing table this does not scale.

In the long run this would be counter-productive anyway. Let's say that
I get a micro-allocation now, no problem as my router won't choke on 500
routes; but if in the long term if I have to buy the megabucks model and
the DS3 that comes with a million routes BGP4+ feed, I'm no better than
I am today.

Michel.

Sr. Network Engineer  | | |  __/   \ \/ /  |  _ \  | \  / | |  __  |
                                IPv6 Multihoming Solutions
                        http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh
                     http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/public/ipv6mh/