[ppml] RE: Policy Proposal 2002-3

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Sep 26 12:15:03 EDT 2002

> I would also add that the organization must continue to be multi-homed.
> This should be able to be verified via BGP advertising.

This is silly. If the organization has an allocated ASN, they are
multihomed.

> When an entity is no longer multi-homed for 1 month (anyone else suggest
> another timeframe?), ARIN should reclaim that IP space and inform the
> original organization and the single BGP advertising entity that they
> are to stop advertising it.

Any forced reclaimation project should be tied to the ASNs allocated, and
is outside the scope of a microallocation policy.

> My concern is that there needs to be a built in reclaimation process as
> well as a provisioning process.

A single micro-allocation given to an organization solely on the
justification that they are multi-homed is somewhat self-limiting and
self-reclaiming. If they accept microallocated blocks, they must return
their provider allocated space. If they need more IPs, they must trade in
that block for a regular ARIN block.

There are currently over 63,000 /24s announced to the global routing
table. Most of it is just polution, but one of the few legitimate uses for
some of those routes is organizations who are multihomed but who do not
qualify for their own block under current allocation policies. By allowing
small multihomed organizations to trade in their provider allocated blocks
for an ARIN block, those with a legitimate need to announce such small
blocks can be separated from those without a need, and filtered
accordingly.

This should not require significant investments of time, money, or energy
to administer. Their are only around 7500 announced ARIN-allocated ASNs,
and of those I'd say only a small fraction do not currently have their own
ARIN allocated space. But for those few who do not, they find themselves
in a critically bad position of being completely dependant on one of their
multihomed providers.

I would suggest that there be no fee at all for the critically important
range of /23-/24 allocations, to encourage an immediate return of provider
allocated blocks for multihoming organizations who are currently punching
holes in their providers' blocks, are more than likely receiving IP space
for free as part of their existing service packages, and who may not
otherwise have the interests of the global routing table in mind. Remember
that these are small businesses, many of which are not even ISPs, and they
may not be able to afford high-priced IP allocations.