Being blacklisted by Spews

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Sep 4 21:47:45 EDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Jill Kulpinski wrote:

> Thanks for your comment and just to clarify, I am not speaking with
> regards to Exodus or any specific ISP.  This is a general question that
> I wanted to raise to the community for feedback. It is interesting
> because a lot of the feedback is saying that the ISP would just
> disconnect the Customer.  What if the Customer was sending a lot of mail
> from an address because they provided newsletter distribution services?

Regardless of what you or the customer call it, if this customer doing
"newsletter distribution services" is sending junk to people who didn't
ask for it, you're going to get spam complaints.

What the heck does this have to do with ARIN?

More on-topic for this list would be a question that's been argued about
recently in SPAM-L.  It seems there is at least one semi-popular dnsbl
(used to block email potentially spam) with a policy of never delisting
IP's.  Whether you've dealt with the problem, canceled the customer,
inherited the tainted IP space and had nothing to do with the past abuse,
they don't care.  They're not delisting you.

So...in ARIN's opinion where the "efficient utilization" of IP space is
concerned as it pertains to applications for additional IP allocations,
what is a member to do with permenantly blacklisted IP space?

 Atlantic Net                |