[ppml] RIR's should have power to suspend Member's registration in specified circumstances

Bruce Campbell bruce.campbell at ripe.net
Wed Oct 30 23:13:57 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:32:00 -0700, John M. Brown wrote:
> >having the RIR's police SPAM is a bad thing.  SPAM
> >is social and commercial issue and something the RIR's
> >should stay out of.
>
> Why should they stay out of enforcing common sense against fraudulent
> registrations?   Or am I missing something in this thread?

The original message in this thread, as worded, effectively puts the RIRs
into the position of being the Internet Police against spam.  To avoid
this particular confusion (and something which the RIRs will _not_ take
on, as it is not a function defined in RFC2050), the original proposal
needs restating with clearer language, and preferably without Punishment
Extreme(tm) (removal of resources after 5 days with bad information?
sheesh)

--==--
Bruce.

Not speaking for the RIPE NCC.