[ppml] With additional comments on global policy RE: Encouraging return of legacy space

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Fri Oct 4 15:42:41 EDT 2002

ICANN / IANA is basically the GIR (Global IP Registry)
They have responsibility to make sure the RIR's (Regional
IP Registry's) follow RFC 2050, just like those that are
allocated space from the RIR's.

IANA could request an audit of any of the RIR's allocations
to make sure they are following RFC 2050, and that the
(to use a RIPE term) LIR's are also following RFC-2050.

The RIR's do not like the fact that they have to get space
from IANA.  In fact there is movement within the RIR's
to attempt to separate themselves from the ICANN / IANA
process and move towards a "self regulated" model and
admin the entire space within this "self regulated" model.

This would allow them the freedom and the autonomy to make
and set policy that is independent of the IANA or ICANN
processes. It would remove any "third party" appeal process
for requesters of numeric address space.

Prior to the death of Jon Postel, he handle appeals from
requesters when InterNIC or the RIR's declined an IP
allocation request.

Today, that appeal process is thin at best.  It needs to be
put back in place and strengthened.

The IANA needs to step up to the plate and take a solid
leadership role in this and other technical processes.

The IANA *MUST* reclaim and re-earn the technical respect
of the community if these processes are to succeed, for
if they do not, then "self regulation" will fail and
government or treaty (read ITU, FCC, FTC, Homeland Security)
organizations will step in and tell us how it should be done.

In short the IANA needs a CTO, a Chief Technical Officer.
This person is someone with solid technical clue and
credibility in the community, and a person that has the
modesty yet strength and diplomatic ability to worth with
diverse people and organizations during debates.

Originally this was a role that Dr. Postel was to take.  His
untimely death created a void that was not filled.

It *MUST* be a person that has had significant technical
operational experience and has dealt with real world internet
technology development and deployment.

Today many people are attempting to fill these shoes with the
added baggage of their own agendas.  Each is earnest in their
beliefs that they are doing the right thing, for their scope
of concern.

All the petty bickering, finger pointing, claims of not
listening to each other, etc need to be squashed.

"We The Community" must ensure that the "Net is for EVERYONE",
and to do that we must be active and participate.  We must act
as grown ups and not be distracted.

We must be relentless in assuring that the Net is in fact for
Everyone.  The net is not for just America or Europe or Asia, its
for all races on this planet.  Each region has its own customs
and laws, all must be respectful of those and not try to enforce
a single view on others.  The net is transforming and empowering
the people of this planet like nothing in history has done before.
This is causing some governments concern.

As we move to dealing with policy issues, here in the PPML, or
in other forums it is important to understand that good policies
are those that balance many different and sometimes competing
needs.

I am actively encouraging members and lurkers of this and other
lists to get involved.

Technology people (read geeks) normally shy away from politics,
policy talks and the like.  That's left for the "suits".   The
issue here is if we leave it to the "suits" they will tell us
that PI is 3, not 3.1415.....   The technical community *MUST*
become more involved, must learn how to work with the "suits"
and help each other.

The ARIN community *MUST* become more involved with policy
formation and with the actions that ARIN, a bottom up membership
based organization, takes.

Get involved, Stay involved.  It takes time, but if YOU don't
who will ???

Respectfully,

John M. Brown
Speaking for himself.