[ppml] Why should ARIN have to be dictated first by ICANN?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 4 09:45:17 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim at localweb.com>

> As a tiny ISP (we have a /22 from our upstream), at YOUR recoking, we
> would now need to start paying ARIN $10,240 per year and ICANN another
> $10,240 per year.

Your upstream would pay. If your upstream is AT&T (for example) they do not pay ARIN anything.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
012/8           AT&T Bell Laboratories                  Jun 95

AT&T competes with ARIN or vice versa. Actually, in the U.S. non-profit companies
are not allowed to engage in the same business as a for-profit company, even if the
non-profit only breaks even. ARIN should really be for-profit, which it is and likewise,
so is ICANN. AT&T would pay ICANN directly, using this example.

PSI could be another example.
038/8           Performance Systems International       Sep 94