[ppml] "...proposal to contact the ~50 holders of /8's..."

Jim Fleming JimFleming at ameritech.net
Thu Oct 3 22:48:36 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Scott Marcus" <scott at scottmarcus.com>
> For reasons of fairness, it is probably not possible to do a statistical
> sample; rather, we would probably have to poll a CLASS of legacy address
> holders, I think, in order to determine the feasibility of recovering
> space.  That is what motivated my proposal to contact the ~50 holders of /8's.

Would that not be ICANN's job ? ARIN does not have 50 /8s.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Also, ICANN and ARIN and the rest of the Registries only deal with 32-bit IPv4 allocations
for 0:0 .ARPA. The other extended address spaces for IPv4++ are not allocated to ICANN
or ARIN. ICANN and ARIN are only one out of 2,048 in the larger scheme of things. Once
the expanded address spaces are used to construct networks around the edge of the core, the
core can be phased out. That is the Internet way, it grows at the edges and it routes around
road-blocks. The ICANN and ARIN road-blocks may significant but not impossible to avoid.

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...IPv16 is even closer...
http://www.ietf.com
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://ipv8.dyndns.tv