Encouraging return of legacy space WAS Re: [ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Trevor Paquette Trevor.Paquette at TeraGo.ca
Thu Oct 3 11:30:40 EDT 2002

Just a quick comment on my thoughts regarding IPv6 and IPv4..

Those waiting for IPv6 to take hold.. don't hold your breath.

There will not be an adoption of IPv6 (in North America anyway) for
at least the next 4-5 years on a large scale; there may be pockets
of it here and there.. but anything significant, especially down to
the end-user level is wishful thinking. Why? Simple.

End users won't do it until most, if not all of the Internet backbone
and distribution networks (read: the end-user's upstream) are IPv6.

The telcos no longer have the time, people, resources or revenues to
go down that road. They need to make money on what they have implemented
today; that being IPv4. If the ISP/telco industry has any sort of significant turn around before then, then we might see a larger adoptation of IPv6.