[ppml] "Can someone solve this mystery...?"

Jim Fleming JimFleming at ameritech.net
Thu Oct 3 08:17:44 EDT 2002

"Can someone solve this mystery...?"

1. Your assumptions may not be correct.

2. Engineering does not have to be a mystery. You can look at the code and connect machines and see what they do.

3. Anyone can "announce" anything to anyone. Do you think a reliable core IPv4 transport needs to listen to announcements ?

4. The "routing table size" is a totally bogus argument. It is promoted by the BGP/FUD people, who profit from gaming the system.

======

Place yourself inside of a router (forwarder) in the reliable core transport. A packet arrives, you inspect certain bits in the
160-bit header

and you decide whether it is for yourself or one of the other members of the reliable core transport. If you inspect only 8 bits
then, you

might have (at most) 256 places to forward the packet. Is that a large router table ? 256 entries...??...

NOTE WELL....I did not say WHICH 8 bits are inspected...one bit inspected could be the SNOOPY bit...

128-bit DNS AAAA Record Flag Day Formats
2002:[IPv4]:[SDLL.OFFF.FFFF.TTTT]:[64-bit IPv8 or IPv16 Persistent Address]
[YMDD]:[IPv4]:[SDLL.OFFF.FFFF.TTTT]:[64-bit IPv8 or IPv16 Persistent Address]
1-bit to set the Reserved/Spare ("SNOOPY") bit in Fragment Offset [S]
1-bit to set the Don't Fragment (DF) bit [D]
2-bits to select 1 of 4 common TTL values (255, 128, 32, 8) [LL]
1-bit for Options Control [O]
7-bits to set the Identification Field(dst) [FFFFFFF]
4-bits to set the TOS(dst) Field [TTTT]
Default SDLL.OFFF.FFFF.TTTT = 0000.0000.0000.0000
FFF.FFFF.TTTT = GGG.SSSS.SSSS
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt