[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Wed Oct 2 23:38:18 EDT 2002

Can someone solve this mystery:

If an organization is getting connections from two or more ISPs
(Multihomed), the organization will receive am ASN and a /24 IP address from
one of its ISPs, then, that organization and its ISPs will announce that /24
to the Internet.

This will add an entry to the global routing table in the same way as if
that organization received and announced its /24 IP space from ARIN.

In the above situation (multihomed network), ARIN's argument of not
assigning /24 for the reason of an increase in the global routing table does
not make sense. Whether that organization received its /24 from one of its
ISPs or from ARIN, in both cases the /24 will be announced and added to the
global routing table.

What is the excuse of ARIN not assigning /24 to multihomed networks?

Thanks,

Bernard Kohan
Comentum Corp.
Tel 858/410-0700