Encouraging return of legacy space WAS Re: [ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

J. Scott Marcus scott at scottmarcus.com
Wed Oct 2 17:32:48 EDT 2002

Speaking only for myself...

I agree with David Conrad on this.  People have
voluntarily returned large blocks in the past,
notably including Stanford University and my
former employer, BBN/GTE.

ARIN's ability to recover legacy address space
from unwilling holders is unclear, and the attempt
might well be both painful and expensive.

ARIN's ability to recover space _voluntarily_,
however, is largely untested.  It may be that
folks have not returned IPv4 space because they
have not persuasively been asked.

In any case, it seems to me that the cost of
making a preliminary experiment is not great.
Nearly a quarter of all IPv4 space, and nearly a
half of all allocated IPv4 space, is tied up in
blocks 003/8 to 057/8.  These seem to me to
represent low hanging fruit - if memory serves,
the CAIDA data presented a few meetings ago
showed that a significant fraction of that space
is "dark", which seems to suggest (but not prove)
that much of it might be underutilized.  And only
about fifty organizations hold that low hanging
fruit.

My understanding is that, at the time of the ALE
work, it was felt that reclamation was not
warranted.  The exponential growth of address
consumption would quickly overcome any possible
reclamation.

That does not seem to me to be the case today.
The last data I know of showed the annual growth
of IPv4 address consumption to be in the range
between 3% and 7% per year, and declining over
time.  Relative to that rate of growth, address
reclamation could perhaps extend the life of the
IPv4 space by some years.  I think that that would
be a good thing, although some might legitimately
argue otherwise...

In any case, it seems to me that a targeted and
prioritized pilot program for voluntary
reclamation of IPv4 addresses would be worth
attempting, would not need to be very expensive,
and if done with sensitivity need not generate ill
will between ARIN and the holders of these address
blocks.

=====

Does this make sense?

Do people see either positive or negative
incentives that ARIN could use to encourage the
return of large, low utilization IPv4 address
blocks?

Best regards,
- Scott