[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Wed Oct 2 16:14:36 EDT 2002

Mike, I think that most of the conversations here
have been about non-ISP users of IP space being charged
for IP space by their ISP.  It seems people think that
the end-user org (the ISP's client)  should beable to get
address space directly from the RIR.

As far as ISP's needing policies with resepect to IP
alloction, thats a slightly different topic.

First, ARIN moved the min alloc from a /19 to /20
to help more ISP's have better control over their
networks and such.  That helped thousands of small
providers just like your self.

Second, ARIN then created a policy that says, if you
are a ISP and you are multi-homed, you can request a
/20 from ARIN.  Otherwords, multi-homed small providers
can get space from ARIN even if they aren't using a full
/20 today.  I believe you need to be using at least
8 /24's to qualify.

Both of these policies have been created by input from
the membership, the community at large, and adopted by
ARIN.

I encourage any ISP to read each and every policy on allocations.

ARIN does make it easy to get address space if you read the policies
and follow the guidelines.  Much easier than any of the other RIR's
I might add.

John Brown
Personally Speaking