[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Trevor Paquette Trevor.Paquette at TeraGo.ca
Wed Oct 2 15:36:29 EDT 2002

> Small ISP's need some assurance or price protection against
> such tactics.
> Maybe ARIN is not the right platform, but ARIN has set a precedent by
> charging for IP's in the first place (directly or indirectly)
> so ARIN is a
> good starting point for this discussion.  True there are lot
> of ISP's out
> there, competition is tight etc. but in many markets you have little
> choice who your ISP is going to be, and even less choice in
> changing ISP's
> as it is costly and time consuming proposition to change
> ISP's, possibly
> moving all your equipment and renumbering all your networks.

I hate to say this.. but that is part of the cost of doing business.

If I go and buy a satellite dish, and then change satellite companies down the road because my current provider decides to start charging extra for some of the channels that I have; I'm probably going to also have to buy a new dishes, and reprogram my TV to accept the new dish.

What a pain! But I have no choice.. it's part of the consequences of doing business with someone else.

(Could you flow through IP costs to your subscribers?)