Encouraging return of legacy space WAS Re: [ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9 (fwd)

Mury mury at goldengate.net
Wed Oct 2 14:25:28 EDT 2002

Speaking of which, I've seen this encouraging language come up a lot over
the last couple years.

It seems to me that "encouraging" takes more than talking about it on some
mailling list.  What has ARIN done to encourage the return of IP
space?  It seems to me that it wouldn't hurt to pay someone to make some
phone calls again.

In fact, it seems that Jim wants a piece of the ARIN money pot, so maybe
ARIN could contract with him to "encourage" the return of that wasted IP
space... half joking.

ARIN should draft a policy or something similiar that addresses this
wasted IP space.  It probably shouldn't be a policy because you don't want
unenforable policies, but there should be something.  And then there
should be a little bit of money set aside to contact these space holders.

Mury