[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Beran beran at beranpeter.com
Tue Oct 1 14:19:25 EDT 2002

Alec.
I quote from the ARIN web site:
"As a nonprofit organization with a bottom-up, community-based structure,
our focus is completely on serving our members and the Internet community at
large."

Serving the members that operate ARIN is important but their goal and ARIN's
goal is to serve the Internet community at large.
Your "technical and operational issues" are important but do NOT include
other aspects of serving the Internet community at large.

Equal access to ip space is VERY important to the Internet community at
large. This should be a TOP priority!

It is clear now that we have had a number of years of operation in the
current format to understand that IP space is still being improperly
utilized/horded/charged for etc.
Why not allow /24 address space allocations?
I see and have heard NO good reasons not to allow it. The same process and
the same requirements for a /20 address space works well now so why not for
/24.
ARIN IS doing a good job. Great people, great service, and responsive.
ISP's on average have not been any of these. And to charge EVERY month for
EVERY ip used which was essentially free to obtain for anyone to justify a
couple years ago is terrible.
Usage can be metered and is metered so the usage argument per IP is not a
good one.

Beran

Beran Peter
Beran at BeranPeter.com <mailto:Beran at BeranPeter.com>
617-803-3658