[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Sweeting, John John.Sweeting at teleglobe.com
Tue Oct 1 14:07:37 EDT 2002

I would suggest that this is a situation better served by the local Better
Business Bureau. ARIN has no power over the business practices of their
members, only over the way they justify and use IP addresses on the public
internet. ARIN's scope should remain limited to its stated responsibilities
"....ARIN promotes the conservation of IP address space, maintains
impartiality while determining the size of address blocks to be allocated or
assigned, and supports efforts to keep the global routing tables to a
manageable size to ensure information can be routed over the Internet.
Continued operation of the Internet depends, in part, upon the conservation
and efficient use of IP address space." The policies that are in place today
have been developed over the last 5 years by the members and general public
and not by the entity "ARIN". ARIN staff only enforces the policies that
have evolved. I agree that the issues listed below are real and need to be
dealt with but I do not think they can be solved just by giving /24's out to
anyone that asks for one.