[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Tue Oct 1 13:58:45 EDT 2002

--On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 12:53 -0500 Jim Fleming
<JimFleming at ameritech.net> wrote:

> Can you convert all that to dollars and sense ?
>
> As an example, if you determine that your needs are to run a homeless
> shelter, what will that cost ? and why should ISPs be paying for that ?
>
> Also, what are the needs of all of the Directors and their "staffers" as
> they are called in D.C. ? Do you think the ICANN and ARIN Directors
> should each maintain an office with staff ? Would a $2,000,000 dollar per
> year budget per Director handle all their **needs** ?
>
> You seem to want to start with **needs** and then work to costs.
> Can you do that ?

Jim,

I will be the first to admit that I do not have a head for pricing as far
as what any entity (and ISP, ARIN or anything else) needs to charge to make
ends meet.  I believe that the policy discussions should focus on the
technical and operational issues.  I see no need why money needs to be a
part of that discussion, it can happen separately once the policy itself
has been decided.

ALec

Alec H. Peterson -- ahp at hilander.com
Chief Technology Officer