[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Beran beran at beranpeter.com
Tue Oct 1 12:59:02 EDT 2002

I think this Policy Proposal is a great one and would like to see it passed
at the end of the month.

Trevor Paquette wrote:

>Isn't this virtually the same thing as 2002-3???
>
>(The difference is that 2002-9 does not require multi-homing).

Well you answered your own questions. It is NOT the same as 2002-3 because
it does NOT require mulit-homing.

>*** Again I ask.. ARIN moved away from giving /24s to
>*** individual companies years ago, and decided to let
>*** the upstream ISPs handle it. There must have been
>*** a reason for this. Does anyone know why? Were the
>*** reasons recorded?

I do not know the reasons for this. However I do know that many of these
ISPs are:
1) difficult to deal with
2) Merging, going out of business, etc.
3) Changing policy's often
4) Charging for IP numbers at high prices which now has become a trend
5) The only companies they do charge this to are companies that don't
qualify for /20 address space... sticking it to the little guy!

>I'd hate to see this motion pass, only to repeat
>history again and move back to where we are now.

I disagree completely. I'd like to see this motion pass. Share the /24
responsibility with the ISP's. It will add some work for ARIN but it will
also provide better control and will likely result in many /20 trade-ins. It
will also help keep prices in check for ip address space below /20 sizes
when customers have a choice.

>As for people complaining about their ISP charging for
>IP space; either:
>1) Find a different ISP (Capitalism at it's finest..)
>2) Use it as a bargaining tool to get your monthly
>fees reduced. (I'm paying $X a month in IP fees..
>I want my monthly fees reduced by $X as well. EVERYTHING is negotiable.)

Well, It's an overall trend. The ISP's know that companies are stuck and
cannot qualify for a /20 so they end up taking advantage of this.
Geographic location often has an impact of availability of providers. Also
trying to negotiate with a provider when you are a small company is not as
easy as a larger business opportunity where you have the ability to go and
register your own /20. The smaller ISP's are often held hostage by the
bigger ones asking for a per $ per month for any IP given to their
customers.

Just my .02