[ppml] Re: Policy 2002-5 let's keep it simple?

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Nov 20 14:13:21 EST 2002

>I believe that making a start with an amnesty policy (perhaps
wordsmithed)
>is a good first step toward many potentially valuable future objectives
you
>itemize.
>Simple to enact, simple to explain, simple to support.... and it achieves
>direct and indirect good.

I'm not going to answer all your other comments here. However, I have no
objection to an amnesty policy that does NOT involve swapping of address
blocks. If the amnesty policy improves the registration data then that is
good. However if it changes the map of allocations then that is bad. A /24
in 66/8 is not the same as a swamp /24. Even though we do not control ISP
filters, we know that they exist. Also, there are still people using
classfull devices who cannot swap a swamp /24 with one from 66/8. If there
is to be reorganization of swamp space and migration out of swamp space
then we need to carefully think that out as a separate issue and it needs
to be tied into some plan for reallocating that space. Until there is a
coherent plan for this it is too early to worry about legal issues.

So, if there is a program to contact legacy address block users in order
to update their contact information, then I support it. If we need a
carrot to encourage them then we should be looking at things like homeland
security and retaining their usage rights, not block swapping. Homeland
security suggests that we should limit unidentified use of the network
because if you cannot identify the organization then you cannot determine
if they are criminals of terrorists. At the very least we should demand
that they give us some type of contact information. And nobody has the
rights to use a portion of the shared global IPv4 address space forever
without maintaining registration info any more than I have the right to
the money in my bank account without maintaining registration info. If I
move and don't tell the bank about my new address, after some period of
time, they will try to contact me. If they fail to contact me they will
set aside my money for some period of time as an unclaimed account and
after that time expires, I will lose the right to spend that money. Why
should IPv4 usage rights be any different?

--Michael Dillon