[ppml] Wording issues with the 2002-6 Aggregation Requests Pr oposal???

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Wed Dec 4 08:16:16 EST 2002

Barbara,

Proposed..... (Bill Darte rewording)
If any organization relinquishes a group of portable, non-aggregatable
address blocks to ARIN, they will receive a block in exchange.  The block
received in exchange shall be /24 or shorter, but not shorter than need be
in order to contain all of the returned blocks. Exchanged space shall be
returned within 12 months.  If all of the previous address blocks were
maintained in the ARIN database without maintenance fees, then replacement
space will be without fee, but if any one of the returned blocks had
associated maintenance fees, then the replacement block will also be subject
to maintenance fees appropriate to the replacement block size.  For example,
if an organization relinquished three /24s, they would eligible to receive a
/24, a /23, or a /22 in exchange.

Is the "non-aggregatable" reference above (and in the original wording) not
explicit enough?

How few are we talking about?  Are there not hundreds of non-contiguous
blocks under a single authority out there now?  What value to those with
such assignments accrues to their use of this policy?  If none, then why
would anyone undergo renumbering nuisance?....except for being a good
netizen?

I am ambivelent about creating policies that won't be used in order to
express ARIN's, and presumably, the industry's interest in paring the route
table and 'potential' for more efficient allocation practice....

Are there other benefits like laundering?

Bill Darte
AC