[ppml] Open discussion on Policy Proposal 2002-2

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Dec 3 05:42:41 EST 2002

>So in accordance with the ARIN Advisory Council's decision we
>are asking for further discussion on Policy Proposal 2002-2.

One way to resolve this issue is to change the language so that it is
clear that the IETF is the standards body. For instance:

"by the IANA in coordination with standards bodies, such as the IETF" ...
"Organisations such as the IETF, who describe experimental activities as
part of their"
becomes:

"by the IANA in coordination with the IETF" ...
"The IETF describes experimental activities as part of their"

If we do this, what do we get?

1. We now have a clear relationship for experimental allocations rather
than a vague and fuzzy one.
2. We now no longer have to decide whether or not a so-called "standards
body" should be allowed to experiment on a case by case basis.
3. We no longer have any need to discuss the merits of any experiments
because they will have already been discussed thoroughly in an open forum,
namely the IETF. ARIN can focus solely on the resource allocation issues
and defer all other issues and discussion to the IETF.
4. We won't ever have to discuss whether or not an experiment from a
non-IETF standards body was fair enough or discussed openly enough or
relevant enough since all experiments will be initiated by the most open
standards body in existence.

Some people may argue that there is a case for accepting experimental
requests from other standards bodies that work with a specific industry,
for instance ITU-T and the cellular phone industry. However, the IETF is
open enough to accomodate work that was begin in other forums, therefore
this argument does not hold.

In other words, we aren't specifying that we want all work to be done
under IETF auspices, merely that we want all work to pass through the
IETF's review before it comes to ARIN so that ARIN can focus on being an
RIR.

I'll leave it to someone else to do a detailed edit of the wording.

--Michael Dillon