Anonymity...is it justification???

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Thu Aug 8 19:04:51 EDT 2002

First example Bob:

Would the customer beable to justify 20 contiguous /28 ?
If so, then I don't think the RIR's care if they are out
of different parts of your alloc's.  Its your IGP, and you
aren't pushing /28's to the nets BGP..

What Bob does with those addresses is between you and Bob
via your contracts and AUP.  That is controlled by your
general business practices.  If Bob or Many Bob's do things
that other private networks dont like, you may see less
connectivity to those other sites.  Either way its not within
the RIR's area of responsiblity to say.  RIR's must be limited
in their scope of policy.

Second Example John:

Does John qualify for 50 IP's ??  Can he do what he
needs with 1, 10, ??  Again, thats more an internal policy
rather than an external.  Some companies will hand out IP's
like they grew on trees, others are more conservative.  If they
can meet the requirements for the RIR's allocation, thats all
they need to worry about.

Its not the RIR's policy to generally control this directly.
A RIR can affect a certain amount of control by not issuing
an allocation in the future if the requester has been wasteful.

Third Example, Random IP.

The technology is called DialUp :) or DSL with DHCP....

Sorry, I don't see the need to be so obfusticated, at the
network layer at least..

john brown