Policy Proposal 2001-3

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Wed Sep 26 15:55:28 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com>
To: "Alec H. Peterson" <ahp at hilander.com>
Cc: <v6wg at arin.net>; <ppml at arin.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 13:50
Subject: Re: Policy Proposal 2001-3

> > Waiting for requests to timeout is not an optimal solution for failover.
>
> maybe you missed the following message, critical parts flagged

Randy, I've always thought you were good at making solid arguments, but this is
just hilarious.

Your assertion that DNS timeouts work fine in 'some failure modes' is nothing
short of laughable, especially since being able to multi-home effectively will
work fine in the failure modes you describe, plus the ones where a single
service provider causes an otherwise single-homed address to be unreachable.

Furthermore, your apparent intentional ignorance of these points that I have
mentioned in other messages is also rather amusing.

Unless you actually have something new to add to this discussion I think we're
done here.

Alec