Policy Proposal 2001-3

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Wed Sep 26 15:38:13 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com>
To: "Alec H. Peterson" <ahp at hilander.com>
Cc: <v6wg at arin.net>; <ppml at arin.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 13:11
Subject: Re: Policy Proposal 2001-3

> > gTLD servers have always been part of all of the proposals.
>
> if having servers in 'special' space has yet to be shown to improve use,
> why is not not appropriate to treat them just as we do all others?  they
> can get routable space from theu upstreams or justify space if their needs
> are large enough.

What do you mean by use?

The whole idea behind the micro-allocations from the beginning was the notion
that some pieces of infrastructure:

a) Really do need their own PI blocks
b) don't consume enough IP addresses to meet standard requirements.

The goal was to put guidelines around which infrastructure met these
requirements.

Alec